Saturday, 18 August 2012

Submission 1....equus

The landscape and topography of Hamburg was a heavy influence on my design. I wanted Electra’s house to reflect the canals and bridges and the separation and voids they create. I did this by varying the levels of rooms and compartmentalising different areas of the houses.  The fireplace was an important symbol in Electra’s life so I made the hearth the key design element and designed the house around it. The chimney of the hearth also acted as the ‘tower’ in the first three design schemes.

model 1
                                          
                                          The hearth






In the second model I used corridors and narrow passage ways, as well as a change in level to reflect the topography of Hamburg. The fireplace and the water dividing the city into hundreds of islands were a part of Electra, defining who she became and what she loved. So I took the idea of the natural elements and used them and key design drivers in my design. In two of the designs, buildings one and two there is an external stair case which exposes Electra to the wind and in the second card model a landscaped outdoor courtyard exposes the earth element.

 model 2

















The third model I used varying levels in each room and separated one part of the building entirely creating a chasm running through the building. Unit 7 overlooks the river, reinforcing the connection the city of Hamburg


model 3











The long crossing corridors form a horizontal tower in the fourth model and connect each component of the house together.


model 4


No comments:

Post a Comment